Monday, December 29, 2014

Spatz Rosin Originals

Peg & Shannon - Jewelry Designers


Girl Dancing in the Rain
SR: We are a mother (Peg) and daughter (Shannon) team who enjoy working together whether it’s on the road at art and craft shows or designing jewelry. Shannon has always had a passion for jewelry. She inherited it from her father’s side of the family. I simply love working with my hands and designing jewelry gives me an outlet for that. Part of the joy we find in working with jewelry is the fact we can do it together.

Orchid Necklace
PCC: What do you create?
SR We design jewelry using the Viking stitch, knitting-in-the-round and wire wrap techniques. Shannon’s designs are more technical and classy with a touch of funk, while I work more intuitively and have the most fun designing R-kids and other free-form creatures. We love the rich colors wire now comes in as well as freshwater cultured pearls, gemstones and the faux bone flowers we are able to create using flat sheets of medical grade PVC. 




My Family Girl


PCC: What made you want to become an artist/fall in love with your craft?
SR:
After an injury at work, my husband, Ken, was unable to work for a year. During that time we discovered we loved being together all the time. I also loved working with my hands and that drew us into the craft show business. We began with wooden toys, then miniatures and clay sculptures. Shannon’s first memories are of napping under our display tables at arts and craft shows when she was two.  
We loved the satisfaction we got from customers reactions to our products and the relationships we developed with the other artists and crafters. We became like extended families having reunions every weekend. It was a wonderful life. After taking a short hiatus during my father’s illness and death, Ken and I got “real” jobs. Over time, Shannon and I wanted to get back into the business. Her passion for jewelry made the choice of what we would do this time easy. 



PCC: Tell us about your process. 
SR: Shannon is brilliant at working out ideas and patterns in her mind and then finding a way to make them come to life that is both technical and intuitive. She favors the Viking Stitch and wire wrapping. I can only work intuitively which plays well with designing the R-kids and other free-style forms. I love wire wrapping. It feels like coloring to me. First I create a form and then use the wire to, what I think of, as coloring in the lines like you would a coloring book. 




PCC: What materials do you use? 
SR: We use colorful craft wire as well as Soft-Flex ultra flexible wire with freshwater cultured pearls and gemstones. We also use medical grade flat sheets of PVC that we cut, shape and dye to create our floral embellishments. It’s a joy to have so many techniques
and materials at our disposal when it comes to creating unique designs. Over our down time this year, I’m hoping to do some clay sculpting to add to the uniqueness of our designs. 

PCC: What are you passionate about outside of your art?
SR: (Peg) I love writing and am currently editing my first finished novel while Shannon is in the process of planning the expansion of her garden into a beautiful oasis that provides her with fresh produce to can for winter.  
(Shannon) We both love to read, kayak, and fish. Mom and Dad live on the water and in the summer we love being out on the pontoon boat reading and fishing. I also love going mudding on the 4 wheelers! 

PCC: Anything else we should know? 
SR: Just that we feel lucky to be able to work with each other designing jewelry and selling at shows. Most of the time it feels more like fun than work, and what could be better than that?



PCC: How do we find you? 
Etsy: www.etsy.com/shop/SpatzRosinOriginals?ref=hdr_shop_menu
facebook: www.facebook.com/pages/Spatz-Rosin-Originals-Jewelry/242101285811969
Twitter: twitter.com/SpatzRosinOrigi


Other Designs from Spatz Rosin that we love:
Kids Ballerina
Three Siblings in Tree
Girl Swinging from Tree
Two Sisters hanging from tree branch
Little Cowgirl
Turquoise Paisley Bracelet
Fish Pin


Kids IceSkater

R Kids Ballerina




1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love their work. I have several pieces and I have never been disappointed in the design, quality or affordability. Their custom work is second to none.