Monday, December 15, 2014

Creative Scratchings

Janis Fowler, Artist
City Kitty


PCC: Tell us a little about yourself.
CS: I'm a self-taught artist who lives in Austin, Texas. I studied architecture in college but I now mostly focus on art (my original love). I love creating things of all types.... woodworking, drawing, painting, building models, really anything.

PCC: What do you create?
CS: I mostly focus on drawing- I love creating portraits in particular... animals or people. I love the control that drawing gives me, and I like not having to wait for layers to dry like you have in painting.

PCC:  What made you want to become an artist/fall in love with your craft?
CS: I've always been an artist! I can remember coloring on my mother's rug (she was not enthused) when I was young- and I have always used drawing as a way of dealing with stress or upset. It really is my "happy place".


Sophistipig
PCC: Tell us about your process. What materials do you use?
CS: I am inspired by personalities- which is why I really love doing portrait work! I am also often inspired by music or life events that have a profound effect on me. I generally use charcoal, pastel, colored pencil, and often times in a mixed-media application.
My favorite works of my own are probably all of the animals that I did in the "Eastside Zoo" section of my shop. They were all portraits of my friends here in Austin- envisioned as animals. So a lot of my friends' personalities went into the drawings, and they are special to me because of that. I generally tend toward a whimsical yet realistic style.




Armadillex
PCC: What else are you passionate about?
CS:  I love my cat, I love reading, I love lazy days when I can let myself loose with my art- just really brainstorm and not have anything on my plate that has to get done. This is when I'm generally most productive.
    I work at an art store with several artist friends, and I really love it! Any time I can be surrounded by art, art supplies, and passionate people who love what they do I know I'm in the right place.

PCC: How do we find you?  
CS:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CreativeScratchings
https://www.facebook.com/artworkbyjanis
follow me on instagram @fowlmouthed

More cool paintings from Creative Scratchings:

How Much?

Tall Boys

Yoloswagrabbit







No comments: