Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Fried Fish Photography

A Big World

Daniella Fishburne, Photographer


I wanted to give you all a little special inspiration this New Years Eve, that's why I've saved Daniella Fishburne of Fried Fish Photography until today.  Daniella has created a body of work that an artist working decades would be proud of, and she only started two short years ago!  Her work that really caught my eye started as a New Years project!  It has turned into a magical and wonderful collection.  Read about her below and let her inspire you too as you set your new years goals!

PCC: Tell us a little about yourself 
Secret Garden
FFP: Hi! I'm Daniella Fishburne and I began pursuing photography in 2013. My interest was sparked by a basic photoshop class that I took for a graphic design degree. I loved it so much that I decided to drop out of college afterwards and began teaching myself advanced photoshop techniques. I used books and online videos as tools to teach myself the things I wanted to learn, instead of being forced to learn something that didn't interest me in class. I dabbled with selective coloring in street photography at first, then eventually moved onto advanced compositing.

Letting Go
PCC: What do you create?
FFP:
I mostly create surreal self-portraits by compositing various photographs. Although, sometimes I dabble in street photography and landscapes, surrealism is my one true love. It feels almost like magic when I can take something from my imagination and turn it into a believable image. Plus, I get bored easily, so I really enjoy the challenge that comes with compositing images. 





PCC: What made you want to become an artist/fall in love with your craft? 
FFP: For as long as I remember, I've always created in some way, although the medium has changed throughout the years. When I was a little girl, I used to draw and create little clay figurines. I loved Disney and wanted to be an illustrator more than anything. I guess in some ways, I did become an illustrator, although I never worked for Disney like I had hoped.
Butterfly Whisperer
PCC: Tell us about your process. What materials do you use? Particularly with the self portrait series, what was your inspiration for this? Any tips you would give to photographers interested in your style? 
Carried Away
FFP: The self-portrait series started as a New Year's resolution for 2014. Towards the end of 2013, I was diagnosed with melanoma and although they caught it before it spread, I was told that there was an 80% chance it would return within a year. After a month of depression (and laying around with no ambition), I decided to pick myself up and do SOMETHING. . . anything. . . just to keep my mind busy. So I decided to do a 52 week self-portrait project in an effort to keep myself busy for a year while I wait. I chose self-portraiture because it would have been difficult to line up a model every week (plus I didn't have money for that) and it alleviated some of the pressure to make it perfect for someone else. If it turned out terrible, it was okay because I was creating it for me and no one else. As for process, I use a tripod with a wireless remote (or sometimes my husband) to shoot my subject (me). Then I blend my subject with the background and any other elements until I've illustrated the story I'm trying to tell. I like to use textures in my images to create a painterly feel because I secretly always wanted to be a painter, but never had the discipline. If you're interested in self-portraits, there are a lot of amazing artists out there who specialize in this style and who also teach these techniques (bonus!). Brooke Shaden (creativelive.com) and Aaron Nace (phlern.com) are my favorites. 

Sharing My Soul



PCC: What are you passionate about outside of your art?
Imaginarium
FFP: I would have to say music. My husband is a drummer, so it's a big part of my life. I also love animals. If I could, I would have a farm and rescue dogs, cats...anything really. I can't afford it right now...but maybe someday.

PCC: Anything else we should know?
FFP: Create art for you and don't worry so much about what anyone else thinks. As long as it makes you happy, that's all that really matters. When you follow your heart, you'll end up right where you're supposed to be... every single time. ;)


Butterfly Magic
PCC: How do we find you?
Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/FriedFishPhotography
Blog: www.daniellafishburne.com/blog/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/FriedFishPhotography

Other work by Daniella Fishburn that we love:
 
Spellbound
Fearless
Dare to Dream
Windows to the Soul
Lucid Dreams
Lost in Daydreams
Above All Odds
Follow Your Bliss
Runaway



3 comments:

Unknown said...

thank you for sharing great work

Judith Kimber said...

Great feature - I love Daniella's work!

Unknown said...

Beautiful!!!