Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Heidi Shaulis

Heidi Shaulis, Artist

The Catland Way

PCC: Tell us a little about yourself
HS: I’m an artist living in North Jersey, right outside NYC. 

PCC: What do you create?
HS: Oil paintings of cats as well as dogs and other animals. I also use my images to make prints, cards, and most recently, glass-tile jewelry.




We Wish You a Meowy Christmas

PCC: What made you want to become an artist/fall in love with your craft?
HS: I actually started out as an archaeologist and did that for many years. While I was in graduate school (UPenn) I started painting as a hobby, and loved it right from the start. I kept at it and years later, in 1999, when my sons were little, I decided to start trying to sell my artwork on the internet so I could work at home and be there for my children. It was 1999 and the internet was just starting to be a good place to sell…I couldn’t believe it when my paintings sold! To get to paint and make a living at it was a dream come true.


Hungry Silver Tabby
PCC: Tell us about your process. What materials do you use? 
HS: My materials are alkyd oil paints and walnut oils on stretched canvas. I’m self-taught and so have come up with my own style and techniques using trial and error. Jewel tones and a feeling of depth are my goal, which I achieve by glazing thin layers of color over another. It’s a time consuming process, since oils need time to dry…paintings usually take months to finish (working on several at a time helps!)

PCC: Tell us what you’re passionate about outside of your art 
HS: My loves: Cats, dogs, and all animals in general. Vintage things (can’t pass a thrift store without rummaging for a bit). Country living (I’ve spent a large portion of my life in Vermont). Hiking in the woods. Baking. Old houses. And of course, my family.

PCC: How do we find you?
www.heidishaulis.com
www.facebook.com/heidishaulispaintings
www.etsy.com/shop/heidishaulis
https://twitter.com/thepurrmeister
http://instagram.com/HeidiShaulis

Other Art from Heidi that we Love:

Red Tuxedo Cat
Pink Tuxedo

How to Train Your Human
Rodney Raccon
Paws II
2 Wishes
Milk for Two
2 Red Deer in the Snow

Little White Cat
Winter Siamese
Ginger Tabby
Winter Grey Tabby Cat  
Charlie's Christmas Tree
Black Cat Takes a Nap


1 comment:

Kelly said...

I discovered Heidi's paintings on the web in 1999 and I have been collecting them ever since. Her artwork is magical. I was thrilled when I got the chance to meet her many years ago ~ Such a lovely person as well as a wonderful and talented artist.