Monday, January 12, 2015

Sailors Ravine Studio


El Dorado

Danielle Nash, Photographer 

PCC: Tell us a little about yourself.
Black Mini Book
SR: I live in a rural area in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains in Northern California. I love all things photography and books. Occasionally I am able to combine both arts but usually they fulfill two very different art expressions.

PCC:  What do you create?

SR: I create photography prints, handmade journals and mini books. All of which I think reflect a rustic nostalgic quality.

PCC: What made you want to become an artist/fall in love with your craft?

SR: I was always an artist and book lover from my youngest days. When my parents let me have their old Instamatic I was hooked and have been in love with photography ever since.


PCC: Tell us about your process. What materials do you use?
Magical Forest
SR: I have a Cannon Digital SLR and use primarily Photoshop for editing my photos. I love my printer, an Epson which uses pigment inks. For me my photograph is complete once I print it out. I like having control and knowing exactly what my customer is getting.
For my journals I scour vintage shops looking for leather to repurpose. In addition to the beautiful aging vintage leather brings, and the obvious benefits of reuse and upcycling it provides the makings of a truly unique product. I often dye my papers with various teas and hand wax my threads. It gives me a different sense of accomplishment by producing a product with simply my hands as opposed to the electronics and equipment used for my photography. I gravitate back and forth and someday may separate my store into these two arts.


PCC: Tell us what you’re passionate about outside of your art? 
Letterpress
SR: Aside from spending time with my family, pets or job if I’m not making art you will find me enjoying the great outdoors or inside a thrift shop.











PCC: How do we find you? 
Sailorsravinestudio.etsy.com
Facebook.com/sailorsravinestudio
Sailorsravinestudio.blogspot.com





More Items we Love from Sailors Ravine Studio:

Le Miroir
White Mini Journal Necklace
Shasta Trailer
Record Player Journal
Oregon Trail

Brownie Camera Photo
Bronze Leather Journal
Windmill Photograph


All images are the property of Sailors Ravine and may not be copied without permission.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

thank you for sharing. I already thought you should be from the some nice rural area. Your works are so peaceful and relax.

Sailors Ravine Studio said...

Thank you so much Tiffany and Guna :)

Anonymous said...

Your work is beautiful and inspiring! I love how you capture the mood of every moment, in such an Old World style. It is timeless, and great art work! Keep rocking it out Danielle! I can't wait to see what you do next :)