Wednesday, November 26, 2014

East Street Tins


Betsy Sio, Jewelry Designer

PCC:  Tell us a little about yourself

EST: My parents were makers: my mother worked with textiles and my father with wood. Fast forward through fine arts degree and many years of teaching middle school art, I took a workshop at Haystack Mountain School of Crafts with Ellen Weiske on using unusual materials for jewelry making. After a week with textile, paper, plastic, rubber and wood, it was the tin that resonated with me. I went home and created a metals studio in my home.



PCC: What do you create?
EST: Using humble materials, I make mostly tin jewelry using traditional techniques. 








PCC: What made you want to become an artist/fall in love with your craft?
EST: I love finding images on tin cans that spark an idea, the colors and the graphics can be wonderful.

PCC: Tell us about your process. What materials do you use?
EST:  My craft is all about the tin. I get tin dropped off on my porch, at garage sales and flea markets, olive oil cans from restaurants and from ethnic sections of grocery stores, I take the tin open them up and start cutting.






PCC How do we find you?  


EST:
www.etsy.com/shop/eaststreettins
www.facebook.com/EastStreetTins
www.pinterest.com/eaststreettins/
www.flickr.com/photos/100796279@N05/
www.eaststreetpins.blogspot.com/
vimeo.com/35467991


Featured:
Metalsmithing by Jinks McGrath published by Barron's Educational
Plank Road Magazine Summer 2012







Check out this video about Betsy and her designs produced by Amanda Marzullo:
 (see more of Amanda's films here: http://vimeo.com/amandamarzullo)






If Video doesn't work, see it here: http://vimeo.com/35467991




More Designs we love from East Street Tins:















 













1 comment:

betsy said...

Honored to be here, thanks so much.