Friday, March 6, 2015

Lookin for Light

Mandy Tucker, Photographer

Wild Tree Secrets
PCC: Tell us a little about yourself. 
LFL: I have taught high school visual arts for 20 years, specifically Photography and Advanced Placement Art History. I earned my BFA in Photography, worked in various realms (portrait/retouching/commercial/fine art gallery) of the photo industry, before deciding to back to school to earn my teaching credential.


PCC: What do you create?
LFL: I create photo-based art. I love to experiment with mixed media. I also enjoy ceramics, learning to quilt, jewelry making, and drawing.

PCC: What made you want to become an artist?
LFL: I think I was born an artist. It just takes a lifetime to evolve into who we are meant to be.

PCC: Tell us about your process. What materials do you use?
Path to the Sunset
LFL: My process is ongoing… meaning I first try to be an observer of my environment as well as attentive to what is going on in the world. I try to continually learn. Many "things" interest and influence my creative process. I try to keep notes, and ongoing lists regarding idea seeds that I can go to when I have any opportunity. I also walk a lot--so I'm always looking, especially at trees and light (haha--sounds funny I know), but I am truly drawn to tree forms, textures, lines and leaves as well. I am also very conscious of light. Most often when I have captured an image that I am excited about, I immediately edit in PhotoShop which often leads in many different directions including montages and mandalas… I use my iPhone, canon 6D, go pro, film camera---whatever gets my idea realized.



PCC: What Advice would you give to someone who wanted to make a living as an artist? 
Tree Writhing in Waves
LFL: In terms of making a living as an artist I think one has to be practical along with being wildly creative---and an extremely hard and smart worker. I guide my students to get an art education first---master the craft, which usually means lifelong education. Practical skills are also necessary in order to pay the bills: record keeping, business knowledge, customer service, marketing, tech skills and social media. I don't think I am far enough into my etsy business to guide as an authority. I have the luxury of an art teaching job to pay my bills, while I wade through the waters of etsy. I can see it has great potential, but like most things it takes education in your area of expertise, perseverance---strong work ethic, and eagerness to learn from people who are successful---and it's dynamic, constantly changing, so to be successful one must keep up the pace and not be fearful to dive in.

Endless View from Cape Perpetua II
PCC: Tell us what you’re passionate about outside of your art?
LFL: I am super passionate about my abolitionist efforts---anti-human trafficking. I attempt to support International Justice Mission. It's hard for me to comprehend the injustices occurring in 2015 with an estimated 22 million humans enslaved! (Mandy donates 100% of all digital download proceeds to IJM.)
I also rescued two pups in June which has left me completely exhausted… along with being married (27 years) to a woodshop teacher (and high school sweetheart) with two beautiful daughters, a nurse and the younger one a senior in college to be a special education teacher.
Lastly, I have a little trailer that I love travel and camp comfortably!


Links:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/Lookinforlight
www.lookinforlight.com
https://www.pinterest.com/lookinforlight/
http://instagram.com/lookinforlight63/

Other work from Lookin for Light that we love:


Journey Down a Country Road
The Bachelor and Three Graces
I learned from a Shadow of a Tree
Hope and Light
Tree Mandala

All images are the sole property of Mandy and Lookin for Light and may not be copied or used without her permission.




4 comments:

Judith Kimber said...

Great article - lovely to read all about Mandy and her work. Impressed by your support of IJM!

Adrea said...

Beautiful photos! And I love that Mandy donates some of her proceeds to a cause she feels passionate about.

Todo Papel said...

Wonderful Post and amazing work!
It is so great to be passionate about others - great work Mandy
Wishing you continued success
Dolores

Unknown said...

These are amazing photographs. Wonderful interview!